Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Party

Thursday, was the Valentine's party with the homeschooling group. Jake was quite excited about this for about a week before it happened (I know...it's hard to imagine Jake excited *grin*). He had his Dad pick up some Valentine's cards and he carefully hand-addressed each one.

It was to be combined with their regular weekly skating session, which was a huge help. Usually, parties/events are held in the other end of town, which makes it almost impossible for us to attend. However, with the arena being only 20 minutes away...and with the fact it was combined with something they already attend each week, this was so convenient. My health issues still had to be worked around though. Our section of the alphabet was to bring sandwiches...which presented a major problem for me. This part is *so* frustrating for me....things I never thought twice about doing in the past are now quite often impossible to accomplish. Like he has done all through this whole thing, Larry stepped up to the plate. I feel guilty about this as he's stuck doing most things I used to be responsible for (housework, dishes, groceries, paying bills...the list goes on), plus working outside of the home earning money, looking after the kids and also the outside work (snow shovelling/yard work etc.). I'm really afraid this is all taking a toll on him and worried it will affect his health too. Then, we really will be in trouble.

He made a list, went to the grocery store and bought the items necessary for the sandwiches. When he returned home, he carefully made them (did a great job too!). He packed them on plates, got the kids organized (skates, hockey sticks, helmets, coats, mits, hats, valentines, container for other valentines), organized himself (he had to head to work from the party so needed his brief case etc.) Thankfully Tyler can drive now...but those details had to be worked out as well. Seeing as Larry had to leave early to go to work, they would be responsible for making sure everything they took....got brought back home (which it did....they've all been a huge help through this as well.)

With lots of confusion happening, they were finally organized enough to leave. I would have liked to have gone...but the party was upstairs (which I can't do yet) and the skating area is at the other end of the arena (which I also can't do). It was quiet here while they were gone. I am really trying to not be bitter, but must admit I'm more than a little disappointed with many people and institutions. It's been a long month and a phone call (or even an email) would have gone a long ways...especially on days the pain was so bad I needed to remain close to my bed. I am thankful though, for all of my you, my blogging pals....your support (messages, comments on here and emails etc.) have meant so much....thanks to all of you! (My Dad has called a couple of times and also my friend Kathie....so I have had three calls lol. Did I mention it's been a long month? lol)

I napped for the afternoon and eventually they returned home. All in all they had a good time.

Hopefully....next event, I will be able to...no...I *will* go with them (this is my goal anyway).

12 comments:

Jacqueline said...

My goodness! I didn't realize you were having such a difficult time. Wish I lived close and could come for a visit and help out some how. I'll be praying for you.

At Home on the Rock... said...

Thanks, Jacqueline. I wish we did too...(I would love our dds to be able to get together too.(

Renee said...

Hi Linda
I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. I totally understand the loneliness, frustration,and guilt that comes with a long relapse. It seems all we do is say "Im sorry" or shed tears of worry and frustration. I too used to worry about Joel overdoing and he did often to take care of me and do his work as a pastor...long hours, etc. Now I am in relapse and he is sick too so it is even harder to watch him do more as he can handle it better.
Sometimes it seems like a nightmare we do not wake up from I know. You have alot of unwelcome company in this! It WILL improve, Linda and in time you will be able to do more. You strength will be renewed. For now rest, and be assured all will be well. Jesus is with you all.

At Home on the Rock... said...

Thanks so much, Renee. I know you have been here and done all of this. Thanks for your encouragement. :)

dominique said...

Linda - I'm so sorry it took me so long to get to this but the RSS feed got behind somehow...or I did something I shouldn't have with it. Anyway...I'm sorry you couldn't go. Boy do I know how that feels. I asked my daughter once, when she was all grown up and on her own, what she missed when she was younger and I got sick. She told me playing basketball together. We used to play basketball all the time. I had forgotten that. She said the rest didn't really bother me cause we were together...just the basketball...I missed playing it with you.

You are an amazing woman Linda! You really are. You are doing what you have to do, to the best of your ability, and that is all you can do.

You sound like you have an awesome family!

You know, I was thinking, maybe we should all start a CFIDS/ME/FMS community and we all move to one location and live next door to each other! Then we would always have help and understanding!

Wouldn't that be nice.

I am praying that your time in bed or on the couch come to an end and you can get out do some things with your family.

May God's mercy and peace be abundantly displayed for you today.

I'm cheering for you from the sidelines!!

At Home on the Rock... said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Dominique. :)

I think you're right...giving our time to our children is one of the most important things we give to them. I love when Jake cuddles up beside me while we read his English story.

I like the idea of a CFIDS community...let's make it somewhere warm ;)

I do have an awesome family and I'm very thankful for them.

Shannon said...

I'm sorry you had to miss the party and are still going through a rough time. How wonderful that your family pulls together and just gets things done. You are such a generous and kind-hearted person, I'm sure they wish they could do more for you!

"The Lord is the everlasting God...He will not grow tired or weary" Isaiah 40:28

Good news for those of us who are tired and weary!

At Home on the Rock... said...

Thanks, Shannon. :)

Christine Burgess said...

Thanks so very much for your kind comments on my blog.
I have been reading yours and can also relate to the guilt and frustration of being in pain and tired all the time. I have fibromyalgia and if I didn't have meds they may as well put me away somewhere because it is really a struggle sometimes and when out of the ordinary stresses come along it seems so much worse.
God Bless you and your family. I will be following.

April said...

Linda, I am so sorry that you are going through all this. I wish I lived closer so I could help you in some way. I had sent you a message about a month ago on CHB, I didn't know where you had disappeard to and I couldn't understand why you kept popping into my thoughts and prayers and now I know it was God's doing. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

April

At Home on the Rock... said...

Hi April....thanks for stopping by and for your comments. Sorry...I did not see your message on CHB (have not been on there in a couple of months). I appreciate your thoughts and prayers :)

Linda said...

A nice post to read Linda.

My husband does a similar thing, though I mostly do the groceries and the bills. He is doing lots of mowing today that our son used to help him with. They also do wood stacking etc. don't they, the men and similar work.

Men seem to be able to cope better with the hard work, not sure, but that is how it is at our place. My husband is a little stressed with a deadline at work with the reporting system they use.

I'd say a nap was a good use of time, because of not being responsible for anyone during that time and having a good rest.

Being patient is such a big help I am sure, I saw a forum this week where the lady was used to working and was having such problems with being at home.

I am hoping my library brings me another novel!