Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas week

With Larry working most nights and weekends, there's not a lot of time left for visiting. Throw winter weather or the threat of winter weather into the mix...and well....it limits us even further.

This week has been different on all fronts though. Larry's work has all but stopped for the Christmas holidays and we've been having fantastic weather! Well....for December in Canada anyway....no snow and fairly warm temps. Even with the rain....we'll take it.

We spent Monday with our friends Joan, Keith, Jacob and Ben. They had a yummy turkey dinner, complete with salt meat and roasted chestnuts (first time I had ever tried them). Did I mention it was yummy? :) The boys played together, while Brittney hung out with the adults.

We all enjoyed the day and evening....thanks guys! (sorry...I didn't have my camera with me...so no pictures and I need to ask permission first)

3 comments:

dominique said...

Okay. I HAVE to ask! What is salt meat?

Glad you were able to have some wonderful family time!

At Home on the Rock... said...

Dominique -- *That* is the million dollar question :)...and I'll try my best to explain it.
Newfoundland is a province rich in its own unique traditions, customs and foods. We as 'mainlanders' are learning these as we go.

One such thing is called a Jiggs Dinner. You can read more about it here (and they explain a bit about what salt meat is): http://www.suite101.com/content/traditional-newfoundland-jiggs-dinner-a93010

Anytime we've had a Jigss dinner served to us, there has always been another meat (like roast beef or turkey etc.) served with it.

Also, sometimes turnip greens are added in.

One thing that caught my eye about this whole meal, is it's cooked in one pot. The things that take the longest are put in first and then the other items added in according to their required cooking time. When it's done, each item is separated and served in different bowls. I would never have thought of doing it this way and would have cooked each item in a separate pot. This way though....there is only one pot to clean.

(And that...is my very best 'mainlander' attempt to explain it ;))

At Home on the Rock... said...

Oops..you will need to copy and paste that link. Also, we've never had the pudding...so I'm not sure what that tastes like