Friday, December 26, 2008

The day after Christmas

Hard to believe Christmas is over for another year.

We started off with Jake in bed with us on Christmas eve as he couldn't get to sleep in his own bed. About 5:00 a.m. I woke up....to an empty bed. I could see lights flashing on the walls, coming from the living room. As I lay awake in that twilight zone, trying to decide if I should get up, see who was out here in the living room and what happened to Larry, Jake came into our bedroom. He was wide awake....talking his usual 200 words per second.

"DIDYA KNOW THERE IS A HUUUGGEE BIKE OUT IN OUR LIVING ROOM??? IT'S REALLY BIG.....I THINK IT'S 2 INCHES BIGGER THAN TYLER'S OR BRITTNEY'S.....IT'S HUGE....AND IT'S IN OUR LIVING ROOM!!!!!! AND IT'S FOR ME!!!....IT SAYS TO JAKE.!!!"

I said, "Jake....ummm...it's 5:00 ..... what time did you get up?"

To which he replied, "OH I COULDN'T SLEEP, I GOT UP AT 4:45...AND THOUGHT I'D WATCH SOME TV.....BUT I CAN HARDLY SEE THE TV BECAUSE THERE IS THIS BIKE OUT IN THE LIVING ROOM!!!!........."

I convinced him he should come back to bed and try to sleep a bit more....which he did. I'm not sure if he slept or not, but he came back to bed anyway.

All in all, it was a good day. Admittedly, I do have more than a little trouble with Christmases these days. As a child and right up into my middle adult years, I was used of getting together with aunts, uncles, cousins etc. and having a big celebration. But lately, everyone has been going off in their own direction which leaves us alone. It makes things seem really quiet and kind of lonely....but such is life I guess. I am thankful to have my own family around me not only at this time of year but all year long.

It rained most of the day here yesterday and temps were 8*C (46*F) here so most of our snow has now gone. The backyard is completely bare while the front still has a few patches of snow. I think I'll venture back to the ocean today and see what it has been up to. *grin*.

No comments: