Monday, May 19, 2008

Homeschooling support

As we're winding down our sixth year of homeschooling, I can hardly believe we've been at it for so long. In the beginning, our intention was to homeschool Brittney and do it for a year or two, until she regained some of the confidence she had lost.

I spent the better part of a year researching the whole idea of homeschooling. It really wasn't something I thought I could do. Larry, on the other hand, said, "Oh it will be a piece of cake." Easy for him to say.

Just as I was ready to say I thought I could homeschool Brittney, Tyler announced that if she got to stay home, then he wanted to too. Oh my....I was sort of confident I could homeschool one, but TWO??? ......I wasn't so sure. Back to the research.

My biggest support came from the internet. I knew one person, sort of, that homeschooled. I called her first and she was more than happy to talk about it. I made *the* biggest mistake though that most people do.....the first question I asked her was "What about socialization?" ....ooohhh....that makes me cringe to think I would ask that .... it is the most asked question homeschoolers get (and the most dreaded as it really is a non issue).

I read many articles and joined a couple of on-line discussion groups. I received a lot of info and ideas from the experienced homeschoolers there. After researching for almost a year, we were fairly sure we would homeschool. Before making the final commitment though, we attended one of the many conferences held in our area. It was after attending that, we were convinced homeschooling could work for us. After all, we'd just be doing it for a year...maybe two.... and how much damage could we do in that short period of time?

As I mentioned off the top.....we're now finishing our sixth year with no plans of quitting just yet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you've been homeschooling for so long now. You're PROS :-)