Sunday, October 26, 2008

Party at our House















We hosted the youth group of our church on Saturday night. It was an interesting evening. There were 10 kids, five leaders, one visitor, Larry and I..... all in our house!

They'd picked this weekend to come to our place and since it coincided with Brittney's birthday, we got her another cake and turned it into a regular meeting/birthday party for her. They had their usual meeting, devotion, small group, snacks (and boy did they ever have good snacks!.....I'm wondering if *I* could pass for a youth), games etc.

We lit a fire in the wood stove (and not only did I get it going, it was very warm in here....I hope I didn't cook them!) and after the formal part of the evening we had the cake. Everyone sang Happy Birthday to Brittney, she was blushing somewhat lol. After that, we all had a piece of her cake. As the cake was handed out, there were about 15 people in our kitchen....our little kitchen....all at the same time. I'm surprised we all fit in there at the same time ....but we did! (I'll have to remember that next time the five of us feel cramped at supper time.)

After cake and snacks, some of the young people (what do you call this age group...they're not kids, they're not adults hmmm....young adults maybe...I'm not sure) and not so young people (the adults lol) headed outside to play a game of spot light. It's similar to hide 'n seek, only played in the dark with flashlights. Many of them were in awe at how well they could see the stars. It was a clear night and the show is quite breath taking. With no lights of the city combined with the clear air, it is an impressive sight!

Some stayed inside and sat around the fire, talking and laughing. Jake cozied up to a couple of the leaders and told them his life story (whether they wanted to hear it or not), complete with all the pictures of his life.

I must say, they were a great group of young people ..... polite, friendly and all around well behaved. Brittney was somewhat surprised by her cake and I think all in all it was a good night!

Now....I just have to work on getting them to believe *I* am a youth so I can attend these meetings, join in on the fun and eat all the snacks.

I know...I know....good luck.

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

What a great cake! Looks, and sounds, like you all had a good time. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm doing good but life has been somewhat stressful lately with happenings at home, and it doesn't appear it's going to end any time soon. Keep us in your prayers. I may blog about some of it later.

Becky said...

2 cakes for 1 birthday, lucky girl! Looks like ya'll had a great time.